John Baptist Henry

The Book, The Blood and The Blessed Hope!


Sunday, April 03, 2011

Sephardi Jews

"But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee. Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life. Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west; I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." (Isaiah 43:1-7)

There is growing awareness among Hispanic Jews in the Americas of their heritage. Benzion (son of Zion) Netanyahu, father of the Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, is a historian and demographer. Benzion estimates that there are over 60 million Hispanic Jews in the Americas, most descendants of Jewish families who were expelled from Spain and Portugal during the Spanish Inquisition in the late 1400’s. Most were forcefully converted to Catholicism, but many have secretly kept their Jewish heritage.

The prophet Obadiah (20-21) predicted a time when Jewish exiles from Sepharad (Spain) would “possess the town of the Negev,” that is the desert land of Israel.

"And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south. And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD’S." (Obadiah 20-21)

Sephardic Jews in Arizona an elsewhere are ecstatic. Many are examining their Jewish heritage, and considering making Aliyah (return) to Israel. Some have already applied to immigrate to Israel.


No comments: